NT4.0 PDC and Samba help

Ryan Koski Ryan at US.Distribution.com
Mon Aug 17 20:16:33 GMT 1998

Hello...

I beat you to this point. :-)  See the copied message from Mr. Carter
below:

On Fri, 14 Aug 1998, Ryan Koski wrote:
	> Maybe I'm misunderstanding how SAMBA/NTDOM is supposed to
work.  Is it
	> supposed to be possible to get a SAMBA server to get ALL of
it's auth
	> info from an NT PDC without having to administer user accounts
on the
	> SAMBA server whatsoever?  Or do I need to have user accounts
on the
	> SAMBA server for each of my NT domain users?

Sorry.  I didn't catch this the first time around.  Current you have to
put user's in /etc/passwd on the unix box.  You can set * for the
password and give them and invalid shell as well.  The entries in
/etc/passwd are not for validation but rather obtaining a uid for the
user.
In the future, samba will be able to create these NT RID <-> Unix uid
mapping automatically, but for the moment, the user **must** have any
entry in /etc/passwd.
Does that explain things?  I will document this in the NTDOM FAQ in the
next day or so.

j-
	Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

jerry at eng.auburn.edu <mailto:jerry at eng.auburn.edu>