NT4.0 PDC and Samba help

Akira Matsuno matsaki at statcan.ca
Mon Aug 17 20:12:49 GMT 1998

After reading the documentation and faq regarding ntdomain, I'm still
lost and don't know where to turn.

I wanted to do the following:

1. Install Samba on my unix box, and let it join my NT Domain as a
file server.
2. Allow my NT 4.0 Workstation clients connect to private shares created
on the Samba server.

- I was able to install Samba with no problems.
- I was able to join the Samba server into my NT Domain with no problems
(I see DOMAIN.SERVERNAME.mac file in the private directory).
- I run testparm to check for errors , and it tests fine.
- I can connect public shares with no problems... this works fine.

- I cannot however get my private shares connected with valid NT domain
accounts. (akirasvr is a valid domain account) NT comes back and says
"Incorrect password or unknown username for \\imaps1\matsaki"

I read somewhere in the archive that I don't need to create accounts on
the unix side of things...  Is this true?   Has anyone got this to work
without creating the accounts on the unix side?

If anyone can help me out here, I'd greatly appreciate it.. I'm new to
both Unix and Samba, but am very familiar with NT...Thanx

Btw..My smb.conf file looks like this:
workgroup = IMAD
guest account = nobody
security = domain
password server = imad1
encrypt passwords = yes
domain master = no
wins server = 142.205.52.11
interfaces = 142.205.218.13/255.255.254.0
dns proxy = no

[matsaki]
comment = Akira's Private Directory
path = /usr/users/matsaki