security = domain

Ryan Koski Ryan at US.Distribution.com
Thu Aug 13 18:32:11 GMT 1998

Hmmm....  What you are saying does make sense.  However, my
understanding of the security = domain option as explained in the
SAMBA/NTDOM FAQ is that it will allow a SAMBA server to "join" an
existing domain, be it controlled by NT or another SAMBA server.  I
guess I assumed that "join" means that it becomes just like another NT
box on the network in that it doesn't need users defined locally; it
will authenticate users based on Domain (and trusted domain) user
accounts.  Of course, an NT machine would know what to do with this
info, but UNIX won't...

Our company is trying to move our developers away from working in UNIX
shell accounts via terminal emulators to working in MS Dev Studio with
SourceSafe.  We've tried using NFS with commercial NFS clients for NT,
and have a long list of reasons why we don't like doing this.  I'm
trying to sell SAMBA as an alternative solution, but it will be a hard
sell if we have to maintain the users on each UNIX box as well as on NT.
Has anyone figured out a way to "dump" the list of domain users from a
PDC to a passwd file?

Ryan Koski
Management Information Systems