Server based profiles

Andrew Perrin - Demography aperrin at demog.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Aug 12 16:04:22 GMT 1998

Here are my observations, with no documentation whatsoever:

- "Slow network connection: Download or Use Local" seems to be caused by
network traffic and/or too high of a debug level on Samba.
- "Locally stored profile is newer than your network profile: download or
   use local" is a very unfortunate result of users misunderstanding the
   previous one, or of the profile-not-available message (see below).  If
   you accept Micro$haft's suggestion of using the local profile instead
   of the network one, then of course your local profile will be newer
   than the networked one (since you modify your profile by using it).  So
   anytime you don't use your networked profile you get yourself this msg
   the next time.
- "Your roaming profile is not available. Using cached local profile."
   Seems to happen if (1) user 2 logs in too soon after user 1 logs out
   (a result of the previously-reported problem with credentials lasting
   too long), or (2) there's a problem with the [netlogon] share.
- "The machine account in the domain is incorrect."  Seems to happen semi-
   randomly (though thankfully not very often).  Have to un-join and
    re-join the domain.

My main complaint about these is that they're so thoroughly
incomprehensible to normal users, they're basically asking for
administrative headaches!  There's no information available for the user
getting the message, only a pretty technical message.  Sheesh.

Andrew J. Perrin - aperrin at demog.berkeley.edu - NT/Unix Admin/Support
Department of Demography    -    University of California at Berkeley
2232 Piedmont Avenue #2120  -    Berkeley, California, 94720-2120 USA
http://demog.berkeley.edu/~aperrin --------------------------SEIU1199