username map and security=server problems

Christoph Doerbeck doerbeck at dma.isg.mot.com
Wed Aug 12 14:48:44 GMT 1998

Greeetings,

When I upgraded from samba-1.9.17p4 to samba-1.9.18p8, a feature
which I had implemented broke.  In my smb.conf file, I defined

	security=server
	password server = bdc.foo.com.
	username map = /opt/samba/lib/users.map

This worked great!  My NT id is not like my Unix id, and this
allowed me to connect to any service on the smb server with having
to re-authenticate.

Now, after the upgrade, this fails.  From observation of the log
output (debug=4), it appears that the username map translation is
performed prior to NT server authentication.  It looks like smb
is passing my Unix Id to the NT server, instead of the smb connection
id/password (my NT id).

If you have any recommendations, suggestions, would like more detailed
description of the problem... I would be very appreciative...

Another observation, on 1.9.17p4 I toyed with using  'netbios name = smbgate'.
This addition caused my "feature" to break and require authentication.
Any ideas?

#  Christoph Doerbeck
#  email: doerbeck at dma.isg.mot.com