PDC password changes

Daniel Fonseca daniel at med.up.pt
Tue Aug 11 18:03:19 GMT 1998

On Wed, 12 Aug 1998, Christian Kumpf wrote:

> >> 6.) samba/unix password synchronization
> >I have a hack I've developed that listens to a socket on the server then
> >changes the smbpasswd file; the daemon handles both passwd and smbpasswd
> >and the client sends it a string over the socket from other machines.
> >This works, but: (1) it's not exactly elegant; and (2) there are some
> >serious security concerns if you think your network might be sniffed.
>
> Security issues are not important in this context (at least for me). Do
> you have a WinNT client program for this solution? In this project I
> don't want the users to log in on the linux server - the password is
> used for pop-3 authentication. So, if I had a program, that allows
> the password change from the NT box, this problem is solved.

Similar to that way is the poppasswd protocol, with the advantage of
possibly being already incorporated in any e-mail program that supports it
(to my little knowledge of such programs for Micro$oft's platform only the
Eudora family has it).

I have all that is needed (slackware+shadow) in http://www.med.up.pt/samba
The method is simple: just go directly into a Menu Option in Eudora (Tools
- Change Password) and the passwd files will be automagically sync'ed for
you.

Hope to help,

Daniel Fonseca