Adding machine with smbpasswd

Gerald Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Apr 23 12:50:07 GMT 1998

David Bannon wrote:

> All this talk about adding a machine over the wire...
>
> All I want to do is add it locally ! There was mention a while ago
> about the option to add a machine being added to smbpasswd programme.
> The option is recognised but does not appear to be acted upon
> correctly.
>
> Looking at the source, when the -m option is used, the next parameter
> (the machine name) is stored in a variable, user_name, has its $
> appended but is then used in a getpwnam(user_name) which of course
> fails, returns NULL, we exit saying 'cannot find in passwd list'.
>
> Have I got the syntax wrong ?? The man page doesn't know about it yet.
> I used :
>
> smbpasswd -m machine    and
> smbpasswd -a -m machine

This is correct.  I asked Jeremy about this recently.  Two options.  The
first and accepted solution is to create a standard Unix account ( with
a shell of /bin/false or something like that ) for the machine name andm
then run the smbpasswd -a -m MACHINE.

The second solution which will work for the time being but not
guarenteed to work in the future is to creta a user account with the
machine_name password and then edit the smbpasswd file to set the
necessary fields ( ie. the [W] field ).

It is forseeable in the future that it will be necessary to have a unix
account for each machine.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter