Machine password encrypted by admin password in SP3?

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Wed Apr 22 16:31:49 GMT 1998

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> ah, jeremy: i have to add some code to the PAM pam_ntdom to do this.  i
> was suggested to cache the 16 byte password in /etc/security/clientpasswd.
>
> how would this fit in, say, with going for
> /usr/local/samba/private/clientpasswd in samba and
> /etc/security/clientpasswd in pam_ntdom?
>
> use the code in smbpass.c because you might have multiple NetBIOS names on
> the same machine.  you might even want to use the same file in smbfs,
> volker, and cache user / share passwords!

Well, the code I am adding to the head branch will
store the machine account for netbios name NNNN in
domain DDDD in the file :

/usr/local/samba/private/DDDD.NNNN.mac

- allowing machine passwords for different NetBIOS
names and domains. The format of the file will be
something like :

32 byte ascii representation of passwd.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX:TLC-YYYYYYY
                                    ^
                                    last change time
                                    since Jan 1st 1970.

Maybe you'll want to use the same format.

Cheers,

	Jeremy.