lp_services problem

Daniel Fonseca daniel at med.up.pt
Fri Apr 17 18:51:33 GMT 1998

Hi there,

Here's another problem... I've already made some nice things with user
profiles, namely making them write to their Home Drive instead of their
locally stored profile, which I erase upon logoff.

My problem now comes to the printers share:

>From smb.log:

Processing section "[printers]"
doing parameter comment = All Printers
doing parameter path = /var/spool/samba
doing parameter browseable = yes
doing parameter printable = yes
doing parameter print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p %s ; rm %s
doing parameter lpq command = /usr/bin/lpq -P%p
doing parameter lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P%p %j
pm_process() returned Yes
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find lp
adding printer service lp
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find lpt1
adding printer service lpt1
lp_servicenumber: couldn't find lpt2
adding printer service lpt2
adding IPC service
lp_file_list_changed()

/etc/printcap:
lp:lp=/dev/lp1:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh
lpt1:\
         :rm=193.136.35.250:\
         :rp=LPT1:\
         :mx=0:
lpt2:\
         :rm=193.136.35.250:\
         :rp=LPT2:\
	 :mx=0:

I can print from the Unix box ok, as a regular user also and not only as
root. Also I have /dev/null chmod'd 777 (after reading the docs :-)

I can see the shares from any PC, by browsing the PDC.

But when trying to print all my attempts fail, even with smbclient:

/usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient '\\adamastor\lpt1' -P -U daniel
Added interface ip=193.136.35.46 bcast=193.136.35.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
startlmhosts: Can't open lmhosts file /usr/local/samba/lib/lmhosts. Error
was No such file or directory
Server time is Wed Apr 15 15:19:41 1998
Timezone is UTC+1.0
Password:
Domain=[BIM] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.18-HEAD]
security=user
smb: \> print /etc/HOSTNAME
ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.) opening printer for HOSTNAME
smb: \>

I get this error with any file and not just /etc/HOSTNAME

I got main branch samba by CVS , using Slackware 3.4, stripped all "-O" in
the Makefile (wouldn't compile otherwise) and I don't know what else to
do.

Any Help? Is it a bug?

TIA,

Daniel