1.9.19 when?

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Fri Apr 17 17:02:59 GMT 1998

Vladimir Senkov wrote:
> Do you know when 1.9.19 alphas will be avail?
> And will it contain NT PDC functionality at this time?

Ok - current plans for releases.

1.9.19 alpha's will contain two major new things
- the SWAT GUI config tool, still being worked on
by Andrew, and a new security type, security=domain.

The security=domain will allow Samba servers to
be full NT domain members (not PDCs) and allow
them to transparently authenticate to an NT PDC
in the same way that NT does - moving closer to
the 'one account database' holy grail.

Now there is one technical detail that is still
being worked on to make this work (machine account
password changing), once it does I'll start coding
up the new security type.

All this will probably take a month or two, so
expect new alpha releases sometime after that.

In the meantime, work will continue on the real
PDC functionality, but this work is much harder,
mainly as once you announce you have PDC functions
to NT machines, they start changing the way they
talk to you in doing *everything* (browsing,
printing etc.).

Once we have a stable PDC in test we'll start
announcing Samba-2 alpha releases.

The reason we're doing it this way is that
getting the full PDC functionality will take
a while, and we have to do the domain client
functionality anyway, so it's easier to get
that done first, and release it to people
who already have NT PDCs to use, than sit
on it all for months awaiting full PDC
functionality.

Hope you agree with the plan, let us know
what you think.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.