PDC authentication

Danny Braniss danny at cs.huji.ac.il
Fri Apr 17 09:26:02 GMT 1998

Dana Canfield wrote:

> Judging from the number of .edu addresses, I suspect that many of who are
> "going production" with the current CVS code are doing so because the decision
> has been made to use NT in labs or desktops in the next school year.  We need
> to avoid setting up several WinNT servers just to switch back to Unix/Samba
> the following year when the code is "stable".

true, except that we are running labs with NT for the past year :-(, with a
severly hacked GINA to allow us do do Unix authentication.

I was expecting to switch to Samba-PDC this comming semester, but we couldn't
finish the testing in time.

I made some changes to the authentication scheme, so that we can have a
unified-authentication for both MS & Unix. These changes rely on the fact that
we have an Authentication-Server. All this is very local, and I don't expect it
to be part of the standard samba code, but it would be (very) nice if some
way is found to isolate the smb authentication routines so that a 'different'
method can be used. As it is, I will be spending part of the weekend porting
the changes - yet again - to the latest version, knowing that it won't be the
last time.

So if anyone of the developers is willing to help, I would be more than
willing to cooperate.

	danny