What can we do to help? WAS: Re: Group Memberships & ACL permissions?

Dana Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Thu Apr 16 20:46:00 GMT 1998

Judging from the number of .edu addresses, I suspect that many of who are
"going production" with the current CVS code are doing so because the decision
has been made to use NT in labs or desktops in the next school year.  We need
to avoid setting up several WinNT servers just to switch back to Unix/Samba
the following year when the code is "stable".

So, my next set of questions are:

1) Is there any chance whatsoever that there might be "stable" NTDOMAIN
release (even if it lacks some features) by maybe late July?
2) I'm trying to fix work on some documentation, but are there other things
that us non-coders can be doing to help you guys along?  I've vaguely picked
up on the fact that you need some packet trace logs, etc. to reverse engineer
some of these things.  Would it be possible for someone to put together some
instructions on how to do this, and what exactly you need?

Please understand that I really do not mean this as a "how much longer?"
post.  It just seems to me that for a lot of the "early majority" schools,
this is the year to switch to NT, and I'd hate to see us miss out on this
opportunity by just a couple of months or so.

Thanks

DC