WAY OFF TOPIC, But I bet the answer is here...

Samba Bugs samba at aquasoft.com.au
Thu Apr 16 17:06:18 GMT 1998

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Phil Cox wrote:

> All,
>
> I am in a pinch. I need the answer to a couple of questions:
>
> 1. If PDC fails, are there ANY tools which will promote a BDC automatically
> without ANY user intervention? What happens when/if the original PDC comes
> back on-line?

BDCs are capable of maintaining stable domain operations during a PDC
outage. Octapus produce a package that can help to provide automated
domain controller fail-over. The other options to look at is Digital
Clustering. Microsoft are also working on this issue.

> 2. Using trust relationships, the PDC is the "point man" so to speak. If
> the PDC dies, CAN/WILL the BDC's maintain the trust relationships? Or does
> one of the BDC's need to promoted, then it will maintain the trust
> relationship?

BDCs keep the ship afloat, but you must have a valid PDC for any domain
administration. The simple answer is: you must promote a BDC to PDC using
the server manager to get the ship fully under control again.

When the original PDC comes back on air it will detect the PDC present
(after elevation of a BDC to PDC of course) and will then back off pending
manual intervention. The normal thing to do is to demote the original PDC
to a BDC and then reboot. On rebooting it will now just join the domain
again and then you can promote it back to PDC.

> The answers are time critical, so any info is appreciated.

In some VERY large sites this type of failure has never casued me any
stress. Just in case that is your concern.

I hope I have answered the questions you were asking.

Cheers,
John H Terpstra - Samba-Team