Browsing & win95...

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Wed Apr 15 16:27:28 GMT 1998

Michel wrote:

> Some strange stuff going on; I configured samba (on multiple interfaces)
> to be a master and a domain master browser. According to the log.nmb
> this all goes well for both subnets (and samba is a domain controller).
>
> Domain logons to the samba server go well from the win95 client,
> nmblookups go well, net view \\machine on the win95 works well..
> But the samba servert doesn't show up in the environment. What's more...
> Everytime I configure the samba server's ip  to be win95's wins server,
> this setting seems to be totally lost by the win95 workstation after
> every reboot... winipcfg then shows an ampty field for the primary
> wins server and the config'd server in the secondary field....
> (and just wins disabled in the networking config).
> (and no, there are no (remote) reg- or policy updates).
>
> All this doesn't indicate a problem in samba but in the win95 workstation...
> but I have no clue - anyone who might know where to start looking
> for the problem ?

Since this is a WIndows 95 question, you really should post it to the
regular samba mailing list.

But since I'm here.... :)

Windows 95 OSR2 and later seems to forget these things.  If you will
enter the WINS server's IP address oas the primary and secondary server
then it should stay put.

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )