A question about NT Domains

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Apr 10 12:33:26 GMT 1998

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Paul Leach wrote:

> > the registry settings in USER.DAT or NTuser.DAT overwrite the previous
> > user's settings, leaving any settings _not_ in the current
> > user's profile
> > as-is.  what _should_ happen is that the old user's settings should be
> > totally wiped out prior to putting the new settings in.
> >
> > it is therefore possible for one user to screw up subsequent user's
> > settings.
>
> I don't understand this. USER.DAT will be a different file for different
> users. I think that what you say should only happen is a second user comes
> along and uses the same account as the first.

ah, then i need to explain better.  two or more users have identical
profiles.  say only one user installs a program which adds additional keys
into the registry.  those keys, as i understand it, will *not* be removed
from HKEY_LOCAL_USER when subsequent users log in.

therefore it is possible, say, for someone to install a program and mess
up the workstation for all other users.

does that make sense, and/or fit in with anyone else's experience?

luke