A question about NT Domains

Paul Leach paulle at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 9 17:10:14 GMT 1998

[snip]

> is this a failure for microsoft to communicate the user preferences
> capability to developers?

In some cases, e.g. Netscapes, I believe it was a desire to have Nav vary as
little as possible between platforms -- and there is no registry on Unix.

> secondly.
>
> the registry settings in USER.DAT or NTuser.DAT overwrite the previous
> user's settings, leaving any settings _not_ in the current
> user's profile
> as-is.  what _should_ happen is that the old user's settings should be
> totally wiped out prior to putting the new settings in.
>
> it is therefore possible for one user to screw up subsequent user's
> settings.

I don't understand this. USER.DAT will be a different file for different
users. I think that what you say should only happen is a second user comes
along and uses the same account as the first.

Paul