A question about NT Domains

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Thu Apr 9 06:42:10 GMT 1998

    JH> I now have just a minor administrative problem of managing 3
    JH> smbpasswd files - one on each server, and a concatentation of
    JH> these 2 on the PDC (which must also include the machine
    JH> entries -- it would be useful if smbpasswd could accept a flag
    JH> specifying an alternate passwd file). I can probably keep it
    JH> in sync by running a cron job every minute to pull the
    JH> smbpasswd files off the servers.

I think you could cut this down to one smbpasswd file (which still has
to stay in sync with the unix accounts on the student and the staff
machine) by authenticating samba access to the shares via the PDC
(i.e. specifiying "security=server" and "password server=<your PDC>"
in the global section of your smb.conf file).

--
Wolfgang Ratzka  Phone: +49 6421 28 3531  FAX: +49 6421 28 6994
Uni Marburg,  HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany