A question about NT Domains

Wolfgang Ratzka ratzka at HRZ.Uni-Marburg.DE
Thu Apr 9 06:30:46 GMT 1998

    >> -----Original Message----- From: William Stuart
    >> REMEMBER: Microsoft operates on the philosophy of one person,
    >> one computer, using and accessing all Microsoft software.  Very
    >> little has been done by Microsoft to accommodate multiple users
    >> using the same computer; just as very little has been done to
    >> interconnect NT with any other system (thus SAMBA).

    PL> I don't understand this comment at all.

Neither do I.

    PL> Both NT and Win95 support serial reuse (many users, just one
    PL> at a time) pretty well (in my obviously biased opinion -- is
    PL> that IMOBO?).

Windows NT does, but far to many application programmers still rely on
things like .INI files in the program directory to store user
preferences. (I'm talking about mainstream applications and not
excluding application programmers at M$ --- just check where Office 97
stores information on user's spelling dictionaries...)  I think this
is some kind of cultural problem (good old DOS/Windows philosophy).

    PL> With NT5/Hydra, NT will support multiple simultaneous users
    PL> via WinTerms.

...which may finally force application programmers to get it right.
But all this has nothing to do with the original question or with
Samba...

--
Wolfgang Ratzka  Phone: +49 6421 28 3531  FAX: +49 6421 28 6994
Uni Marburg,  HRZ, Hans-Meerwein-Str., D-35032 Marburg, Germany