New passwd sync option

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Tue Apr 7 12:47:22 GMT 1998

Daniel Fonseca wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was trying the new passwd sync option to change the users's
> passwords from the NT workstations but I don't seem to get it
> to work.
>

>From release notes on 1.9.18p4...
<....snip>

Samba now supports Windows 95 clients changing both
their SMB and UNIX passwords. Samba must be set up
with encrypted passwords for this to work correctly.
See the file docs/ENCRYPTION.txt and the list of
new parameters in the release notes below for details.

Samba can also now change Windows NT user passwords from
a UNIX machine. Read the documentation of the command
smbpasswd for details on how to change an NT user
password from a UNIX machine with Samba installed.
<snip.....>

Daniel,

Couple of things.  This issue doesn't really have to do with using samba
as a PDC which is really more or less the purpose of this list.  You'll
probably get more help from the normal Samba list.  I know there have
been several recent threads on password changing issues.

Second thing ( and I am only going from the release docs ), the password
sync abaility is provided from Windows 95 clients ( not NT ).  The
ability to change NT user passwords from a UNIX box is provided through
smbpassword.

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter