Problems finding Domain.

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Apr 4 15:57:17 GMT 1998

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, CURRIE KEVIN wrote:

> > Does the Samba PDC work with machines on the same subnet?  I am using the
> > exact same configuration ( Solaris 2.5.1 running on an Ultra and latest
> > main cvs branch code ) with no problems.  Can you look at the
> > $LOCKDIR/wins.dat files on the Samba pdc and make sure the NT client is
> > actually registering with the wins server?
>
> 	Unfortunately we did not have any NT machines on that subnet.  We
> got everything going though this morning.  I think the big issue was that
> there were alignment problems w/ gcc.  When the unix admin used Sun's C
> compiler everything took off.  That would tend to explain the garbage we
> were getting in the location and comment strings.

interesting.  i had a similar but less obvious problem with HPUX 10.x's
compiler: had to compile with +DAportable.

> 	However, we are now having trouble browsing anything other that
> the domain that samba is serving.  This is a far less critical problem for
> us, but still rather annoying.  Is there any way to samba to go scavenging
> across subnets to find other master browsers/wins servers and get their
> information?

there are responses on this issue in the cifs archives.  briefly, it's an
outstanding issue that can be dealt with.  you change the NetServerEnum2
response to always include the workgroups that you want other machines to
see.

luke