Questions about log files

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Fri Apr 3 14:04:04 GMT 1998

Andre Gerhard wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have some questions regarding the log files that are generated by
> samba, when running with debug level equal or above 3:
>
> 1. In my linux samba server, there are 2 nmbd daemons running, why ?

This was added in the 1.9.18alpha series first to prevent blocking DNS
calls.

> 2. When the user connects to the PDC, one smbd process is spanned
>    for this user, and the resulting smb log file is 'log.smb'. If
>    other users connect, the smbd log file is the same ...
>    Is it possible to generate separate log.smb files for each smbd
>    daemon ?

log file = log.%U should do it for per user basis ( log file = log.%M
willget a per machine basis )

> 3. After some time, the NT workstation log file becomes 'old'
>    (extension .old) and another log begins ... What is the condition
>    that triggers this behavior ?

"max log size =" parameter in [global] section.  This default to 5Mb

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )