Suggestion for printing doc in 2.2.7a

Mayberry, Mark Mark.Mayberry at Anthem.com
Fri Nov 14 23:44:53 GMT 2003

2.2.7a is what came with Mandrake 9.1, but I also checked the documentation
for 3.0.0. In SWAT the document is labeled "Printing under Samba 2.2.x" with
a filename of printer_driver2.html (in the 3.0.0 docs, it is Chapter 18). In
this particular instance, I needed to configure smb.conf with a setting of
security=share. I connected from a Windows XP client and proceeded to
install the print drivers, following the documentation. The drivers appeared
to load, but at the very end, I received an error message stating that "the
media is write protected" even though I was defined as a printer admin.
After verifying accounts and permissions, I googled it and found this
helpful tip. The relevant part is

"Also, if you are using "share" level security, none of this access control
will work, even if you set the permissions on the $print share directory
wide open for the whole world. That is because samba also updates some
databases in /var/cache/samba (on redhat) and will only allow users defined
as printer admins to do so. You will get errors telling you the media is
write protected."
http://www.netadmintools.com/art258.html

I changed smb.conf to security=user, loaded the drivers and then set
security back to share. Not difficult or trying, but I thought that someone
else might benefit from having a little blurb added to the docs.

Mark R. Mayberry
Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield
FEP Systems - Information Center Consultant
Roanoke, Virginia
mark.mayberry at anthem.com

and privileged information or otherwise protected by law.  Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
all copies of the original message.