Samba Troubleshooting Guide

Green, Paul Paul.Green at stratus.com
Mon Sep 17 20:32:43 GMT 2001

I have written a troubleshooting guide for the port of Samba to the Stratus
VOS operating system. It contains information that I have learned while
tracking down and solving a number of installation and operational issues.
This guide is by no means complete or comprehensive, but I have attempted to
be careful and methodical about each entry.  It uses a "Symptom, Cause,
Resolution" format, much like the Knowledge Base format used by a number of
vendors.  I intend to add to it as our customers run into new issues.  I
don't intend to make it a generic document, suitable for any operating
system, or covering all of the Samba features.  Like many people, I have a
bookshelf of large technical books that claim to serve that role.  But I am
offering it to the Samba community in the hopes it will be useful.  I've
been working on the VOS port of Samba for only 6 months, so I'm sure there
are mistakes in here; if you see any, and have the time to let me know about
them, I'd be very grateful.

Since Samba is covered by the GPL, I have decided to apply the GNU
Documentation License to this material. I hope this is acceptable to
everyone; if not, I'd like to know what issues this creates for people.

Please see
ftp://ftp.stratus.com/pub/vos/customers/samba/SAMBA_Troubleshooting.rtf.

Oh, and when you see the term "VOS", think "Unix" or "POSIX-compliant OS".
Since my target audience is VOS customers, I haven't attempted to be
generic...and this info is for Samba 2.0.7, which is the current version we
are using.

Thanks
PG
--
Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant, Stratus Technologies.
Voice: +1 978-461-7557; FAX: +1 978-461-3610; Video on request.