Newbie vents frustration - smbpasswd case

Gerald Carter gcarter at valinux.com
Tue Sep 4 00:37:13 GMT 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Frank E Mabrey wrote:

> I spent a considerable about of time struggling with access to samba
> on Linux from Win98 before determining that smbpasswd does not like
> mixed case user names.  I think this should be EMPHASIZED in the docs.

Thanks for the comments.  Mixed case usernames is a very rare case
in my experience.  See the 'username level' parameter for more
details.  We could look into making this lookup dependent upon
the system getpwnam() call (whether or not the OS username
lookups are case sensitive).

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org