problems in Samba documents

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Oct 25 16:51:49 GMT 2001

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, TAKAHASHI Motonobu wrote:

> I am now translating Samba docs into Japanese and found some problems:

Cool.

> 1) smb.conf.5.sgml - wins hook
>
>   <para>An example script that calls the BIND dynamic DNS update
>   program <command>nsupdate</command> is provided in the examples
>   directory of the Samba source code. </para>
>
>   Actually there are NO nsupdate samples in examples directory now.
>   Can I delete these below? or why the sample was deleted?

Dunno.  There was a URL previously. Ask Andrew for an example.
I've never used the wins hook option.

> 2) smb.conf.5.sgml - add machine script
>   "Samba 3.0" is found.

Yup.  Is does not exist in the SAMBA_2_2 branch.  Maybe "HEAD" is a better
term to use for this so we don't get stuck with outdated version numbers.

> 3) smb.conf.5.sgml - veto files
>   The indentation is broken at "examples" section

I think I've just fixed this.

> 4) smb.conf.5.sgml - username map
>   "The special client name '*' is a wildcard and matches any
>                ~~~~~~~~~~~ <-- "user name" is valid?
>   name."

Yeah.  That sounds right.

> And there are several words which means "parameter" such as
> "parameter", "option", and rarely "line". Which word should we use?

IMO parameter and option are synonyms nd can be used interchangably.
Line is probably a little out of place though.

> 5) smb.conf.5.sgml - short preserve case
> ><listitem><para>controls if new files which conform to 8.3 syntax,
> >that is all in upper case and of suitable length, are created
> >upper case, or if they are forced to be the "default"
> >case. This option can be use with "preserve case = yes"
> >to permit long filenames to retain their case, while short names
>
> As far as I examined, ...
> =====
> <listitem><para>controls if new files which conform to 8.3 syntax,
> that is all in upper or lower case and of suitable length, are created
> with the case that client passes, or if they are forced to be the
> "default" case.
> This option can be use with "preserve case = yes"
> to permit long filenames to retain their case, while short names
> =====

An 8.3 file is upper case.  When "short preserve case" is enabled,
all 8.2 file names created on my server are upper case.
Are you saying that you observe different behavior?

> 6) smb.conf.5.sgml - server string
>   the described default value is "Samba %v", but it is not valid.
>   the default value is "Samba VERSION".

%v is expanded to the version string. Not sure i understand
the problem here.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org