Is there interst in ssl these days?

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Thu Nov 8 13:28:46 GMT 2001

On Mon, 5 Nov 2001, David Collier-Brown wrote:

>   When developing the O'Reilly Using Samba book, Bob Eckstein
> was using ssl, and write an appendix on it. Jay Ts and
> I are working on the second edition, and neither of us has
> used ssl. Get feels says it's less interesting these days,
> with better VPNs and tunnels available.
>
>   Is ssl still interesting to the community, and has
> anyone done any development with OpenSSL?  If not,
> is there a chance that the --with-ssl option will
> be retired?

I don't think we'll make an active move to remove it from
the code.  I do think VPNs are a better solution.  As long
as it works it will hang around, and since someone just
patched it for OpenSSL, this will be probably be a while.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org