[Announce] Samba 4.7.3, 4.6.11 and 4.5.15 Security Releases Available for Download

Karolin Seeger kseeger at samba.org
Tue Nov 21 08:38:41 UTC 2017

Release Announcements
---------------------

These are a security releases in order to address the following defects:

o  CVE-2017-14746 (Use-after-free vulnerability.)
o  CVE-2017-15275 (Server heap memory information leak.)

=======
Details
=======

o  CVE-2017-14746:
   All versions of Samba from 4.0.0 onwards are vulnerable to a use after
   free vulnerability, where a malicious SMB1 request can be used to
   control the contents of heap memory via a deallocated heap pointer. It
   is possible this may be used to compromise the SMB server.

o  CVE-2017-15275:
   All versions of Samba from 3.6.0 onwards are vulnerable to a heap
   memory information leak, where server allocated heap memory may be
   returned to the client without being cleared.

   There is no known vulnerability associated with this error, but
   uncleared heap memory may contain previously used data that may help
   an attacker compromise the server via other methods. Uncleared heap
   memory may potentially contain password hashes or other high-value
   data.

For more details and workarounds, please see the security advisories:

   o https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2017-14746.html
   o https://www.samba.org/samba/security/CVE-2017-15275.html

Changes:
--------

o  Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org>
   * BUG 13041: CVE-2017-14746: s3: smbd: Fix SMB1 use-after-free crash bug.
   * BUG 13077: CVE-2017-15275: s3: smbd: Chain code can return uninitialized
     memory when talloc buffer is grown.

joining the #samba-technical IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

If you do report problems then please try to send high quality
feedback. If you don't provide vital information to help us track down
the problem then you will probably be ignored.  All bug reports should
be filed under the "Samba 4.1 and newer" product in the project's Bugzilla
database (https://bugzilla.samba.org/).

== Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
== The Samba Team

================
Download Details
================

The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
using GnuPG (ID 6F33915B6568B7EA).  The source code can be downloaded
from:

        https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/

The release notes are available online at:

        https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.7.3.html
        https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.6.11.html
        https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.5.15.html

Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.