[SAMBA-SECURITY] CVE-2007-2446: Multiple Heap Overflows Allow Remote
Gerald (Jerry) Carter
jerry at samba.org
Sun May 13 22:52:52 GMT 2007
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
== Subject: Multiple Heap Overflows Allow Remote
== Code Execution
== CVE ID#: CVE-2007-2446
== Versions: Samba 3.0.0 - 3.0.25rc3 (inclusive)
== Summary: Various bugs in Samba's NDR parsing
== can allow a user to send specially
== crafted MS-RPC requests that will
== overwrite the heap space with user
== defined data.
Various bugs in Samba's NDR parsing can allow a user
to send specially crafted MS-RPC requests that will
overwrite the heap space with user defined data.
A patch against Samba 3.0.24 has been posted at
There is no immediate workaround for this defect that does
not involve changing the server code in the smbd daemon.
The Samba Team always encourages users to run the latest
stable release as a defense against attacks. If this
is not immediately possible, administrators should read
the "Server Security" documentation found at
This vulnerability was reported to Samba developers by Brian
Schafer, TippingPoint Security Response Lead, as part
of the Zero Day Initiative (http://www.zerodayinitiative.com).
The time line is as follows:
* April 25, 2007: Four individual defects reported to the
security at samba.org email alias.
* April 25, 2007: Initial developer response by Samba
developer Volker Lendecke.
* April 28, 2007: Patches for four defects released by
Samba developer Jeremy Allison to ZDI for testing.
* May 3, 2007: Fixed confirmed by original reporter.
* May 5, 2007: Fifth defect reported to security at samba.org.
* May 5, 2007: Patches for fifth defects released to ZDI
for testing by Samba developer Jeremy Allison.
* May 10, Announcement to vendor-sec mailing list
* May 14, 2007: Public announcement of the security issue.
== Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.
== The Samba Team
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
More information about the samba-announce