Samba 3.0.20pre1 Available for Download

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Wed Jun 22 02:36:32 GMT 2005

                            Do you have a 27B-6? I'm kind of a
                                       stickler for paperwork.
                                                 -- Sam Lowery
Release Announcements
=====================

This is a preview release of the Samba 3.0.20 code base and
is provided for testing only.  This release is *not* intended
for production servers.  There has been a substantial amount
of development since the 3.0.14a stable release (and since the
3.015pre2 release as well).  We would like to ask the Samba
community for help in testing these changes as we work towards
the next official, production Samba 3.0 release.

Additional features introduced in Samba 3.0.20pre1 include:

	o New asynchronous winbindd.
	o Support for Microsoft Print Migrator.
	o New Windows NT registry file I/O library.
	o New user right (SeTakeOwnershipPrivilege) added.
	o New "net share migrate" options.

What happened to 3.0.15 - 3.0.19?
==================================

After some discussion it was deemed that the amount of changes
going into the next Samba 3.0 release needed something to catch
people's attention.  Skipping several releases was chosen as
the best solution with the least overhead.  There will be no
3.0.15 - 3.0.19 ever released.  The next production release
following 3.0.20 should be 3.0.21.

The original announcement about the version number change can
be found in the samba mailing list archives:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=samba&m=111721010206997&w=2

Asynchronous Winbind Implementation
===================================

Winbindd has been completely rewritten in this release to support
an almost completely non-blocking, asynchronous request/reply
model.  This means that winbindd will scale much better in
large domain environments and on high latency networks.  Neither
the client interface nor the command line tools (i.e. wbinfo) have
changed in their calling conventions or syntax.  However, due to
internal structure changes, it is required (more so than normal)
that you install the nss_winbind.so library included in this release.

Support for Microsoft Print Migrator
====================================

Samba 3.0.20pre1 supports backing up print drivers and queues
using the Microsoft Print Migrator (printmig.exe) tool.  Currently
only support for restoring drivers onto a Samba server has been
implemented.  The final 3.0.20 release will include for
restoring the print queues and printer settings as well.  This
will allow organizations to easily migrate or consolidate from a
Windows print server environment to a Samba print server without
having to individually reinstall drivers and printers.  The current
restore support also allows administrators to create a master list
of drivers which can be installed on a new Samba host in a single
action.

================
Download Details
================

The uncompressed tarballs and patch files have been signed
using GnuPG (ID F17F9772).  The source code can be
downloaded from:

	http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/pre/

The release notes are available online at:

	http://www.samba.org/samba/ftp/pre/WHATSNEW-3-0-20pre1.txt

Binary packages are available at

	http://download.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/

Our Code, Our Bugs, Our Responsibility.