Per file Log output to understand hard-link decision

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Sun May 14 12:42:58 UTC 2023

The only way I know of to determine this behavior is to use the
--link-dest option in rsync OR use the much older cp -al then rsync over
top of it method.  With --link-dest a change in the file's metadata
causes rsync to duplicate the file in order to store both versions of
the metadata.  With the old cp -al method rsync just makes the metadata
change on the hard link already in the target which causes all instances
of the file to be changed rather than the file being duplicated.

--
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853