prevent filter excluded files from being deleted

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Tue Mar 7 12:16:07 UTC 2023

Robin Lee Powell via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> (Di 07 Mär 2023 07:07:01 CET):
> Read the "PER-DIRECTORY RULES AND DELETE" of the man page.  (And
> don't feel bad, it took me a while to figure it out myself).

I did, but left with some uncertainty.

"H" hides the files from the transfer? What does it mean?
"P" protects files from being deleted?

I even tried '+r *', no luck.

> Short version: per-directory rules only apply on the side they're
> *specified on*, but you need the exclusion to apply to *both* sides.

Hm. Maybe more reasoning behind.

I'm syncing a quite large tree, but some directories contain huuge VM images,
which I need to transfer using another mechanism. Because rsync doesn't
seem to handle filesizes of about 100…500GiB well.

These directories should contain a `.rsync-filter` to prevent them from
the sync, but rsync should not remove these same-named files on the
remote side.

--
Heiko