Interaction between hosts allow and hosts deny

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Thu Jul 27 10:15:51 UTC 2023

I am trying to master the hosts allow module parameters described by man
rsyncd.conf .  Quoting from the man page:

  > hosts allow
  > This parameter allows you to specify a list of comma- and/or
  > whitespace-separated patterns that are matched against a connecting client's
  > hostname and IP address.  If none of the patterns match, then the connection
  > is rejected.

I understand from this that if I specify only IPv4 addresses, no IPv6 traffic is
accepted.  Is this correct?

Quoting again from the man page:

  > Note IPv6 link-local addresses can have a scope in the address specification:
  >                  fe80::1%link1
  >                  fe80::%link1/64
  >                  fe80::%link1/ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff::

Should I understand that the %link1 in these examples could be replaced by say
%wlan0 or %eth0 , and that I could write fe80::%wlan0/64 ?

Roger