Exclude modifying top dir?

Roger rogerx.oss at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 04:51:42 UTC 2023

I keep getting the following error.  After several years I've had it, and am
posting to the mailing list in hopes of better advice than stuckchange.

rsync: [generator] failed to set times on "/mnt/tmp/.": Operation not permitted (1)
rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous errors) (code 23) at main.c(1336) [sender=3.2.7]

As anybody can see, this is the same old trivial error, where we are
copying/synchronizing files to a root directory likely not having adequate
permissions.

Most answers on stuckchange suggest omitting dir times (eg. --omit-dir-times),
and this may or may not work.  However, this exclusion tends to affect all
files and directories, and most times in my experience, maynot be a desireable
solution.

I've also tried an exclusion (and I thought this was crafty thinking on my
part), for omitting the top dir, "eg.  --exclude=/.", but still has no affect.

There has to be something for omitting modifying only the top directory times?
Right?

This now seems such a common scenario, where users are mounting loop
filesystems, NFS shares, etc; where a users do not have casual access to the
"/." directory.

Roger