Can rsync write to a FIFO?

Hardy lists at steff.in
Sat Feb 11 18:14:57 UTC 2023

If this helps, in old days I used to use cpio for a similar thing.

I do not want to spam you with my whole script, but willing to share if you want. I think you will get the hang of it by the following snippet. (Get yourself man-knowledge about the -i -o -p mechanism of cpio and the use of dd.) This was in the good (?) old days when rsh worked as simple (and insecure) as this. In modern *n*x like systems rsh is a link to ssh, which is (besides being entirely wrong!) a pitfall to finding correct cli arguments. But it is manageable if you are aware of it.

CPIOP = parameter arguments to cpio
/tmp/$$.f = list of files

Snippet:

case $CPIOP in
   -i*) rsh -l $RUSER $RHOST dd if=$RDEV | cpio $CPIOP
         ;;
   -o*)
         cpio $CPIOP </tmp/$$.f | rsh -l $RUSER $RHOST dd of=$RDEV
         ;;
   -p)
         cpio -ocv </tmp/$$.f | rsh -l $RUSER $RHOST cpio -icmd
         ;;
   *)	echo argument mismatch $CPIOP >&2
	exit
	;;