EVP_MD_CTX_new unresolved reference

Wayne Davison wayne at opencoder.net
Tue Oct 25 22:01:38 UTC 2022

On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 6:25 AM Randall wrote:

>    checksum.o(.text._158011632+0xe2): unresolved reference to
> EVP_MD_CTX_new.
>

> This is on the NonStop ia64 and x86 platforms. Can you guide me?

You have a couple choices:

   1. Re-run ./configure with --disable-openssl added to the options.
   2. figure out what library holds the  EVP_MD_CTX_new entry point on your
   system (if any) and get that library listed in the LIBS setting in the
   Makefile (or maybe tweak LDFLAGS).

The first option is certain to get you going (just w/o openssl crypto).
The second option might be as simple as adding -lssl right *before* the
-lcrypto on the LIBS=... line of the Makefile. You might also/instead need
something like -Wl,-L,/usr/local/lib (if the lib is in a weird dir).