Merging three slightly different directories

hputn3 hputn3 at zohomail.com
Thu Jun 9 13:42:27 UTC 2022

---- On Thu, 09 Jun 2022 02:20:02 -0400 Robin Lee Powell <mailto:robinleepowell at gmail.com> wrote ----

> It would help if you gave us an example of what you'd *want* to have

> happen in different situations, but what about the -b option?  This

> will do nothing with identical files but keep both versions of

> non-identical ones.

Sorry It seemed obvious to me.  Myopia is a sometime hazard for me.

I hoped by merging the slightly different directories that have grown up partially independent but largely the same.

I wanted to pick up what ever changes has occurred in the three different directories over time, into one directory that has everything.

I have actually done what I was proposing and in the end the size of the Merged Images directory has doubled.

My original scheme:

Seemed to work as expected between two Linux HOSTS:  There was a size increase of about 2-300MB

But something screwy happens when rsyncing from windows to linux or unix.  I doubled the size and I'm certain any actual changes would have been fairly small. However, I suppose if I had decided to move a major internal directory inside Images or rename one or something... that might cause a serious problem for rsync to surmount.

On Wed, Jun 08, 2022 at 12:24:16AM +0000, hput via rsync wrote:

[...]

> How can I make rsync do the work for me?  So I don't end up loosing files.

Robin wrote

 > but what about the -b option?  This

> will do nothing with identical files but keep both versions of

> non-identical ones.

After pulling out the man pages and looking at that,  It might be just the thing.

I still have all original unmolested directories so I can try that and see where it goes.

But what about the thing with windows...causing a doubling of the size of Images?

It made me remember having rynced stuff from windows before, long ago, and seeing some kind of nasty behavior

I might have to hand merge that directory... and egad at 285G that sounds a bit daunting.

Thank you Robin for your thoughtful and helpful reply