Problems building rsync with Clang 15 beta

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Aug 18 16:26:24 UTC 2022

[Resending because the rsync mailing list rejected my email earlier.]

On 8/17/22 23:58, Khem Raj wrote:
> rsync which add -pedantic-errors option to cflags during configure

OK, that's the problem then. 'configure' should not use flags like
-pedantic-errors. This has long been a property of 'autoconf'-generated
scripts.

The simplest way to fix this would be for rsync to not add
-pedantic-errors, as it's more trouble than it's worth. But if rsync
must add -pedantic-errors for some reason, it should do so at the very
end of 'configure', as in the attached untested patch, so as not to
screw up earlier 'configure' tests; and perhaps it'd be better for rsync
to also add -pedantic-errors only for GCC not Clang (since Clang is more
likely to mutate further in this area).

Really, though, omitting -pedantic-errors entirely is the way to go.
-pedantic-errors should be enabled only for special purposes, by
explicit request of the person running 'configure' and/or 'make'; it's
not suitable as a default option.

Anyway, Khem, please give this rsync patch a try. I'll cc it to the
rsync mailing list to give rsync developers a heads-up about the
compatibility problem building rsync with Clang 15 (which luckily does
not exist yet :-).