Re: Rsync options –update and –append-verify

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Sun Sep 12 05:10:33 UTC 2021

--inplace can prevent rsync from running you out of disk space when
updating a large file.  But you don't want to mix it with --update.
Judging by your other message you think that --update means modiify
files that are already on both ends.  It doesn't.  It only means that
rsync is forbidden  to change files on the target that have a newer
timestamp than is on the source.  If you don't need that then you don't
want --update.

Also, when in doubt, --dry-run.