Re: Rsync options –update and –append-verify

Kevin Korb kmk at sanitarium.net
Sat Sep 11 23:20:35 UTC 2021

--archive is all you really need.  I actually wish --archive was the
default because it is all most people need and with the exception of
writing to a FAT filesystem it is almost always needed.

--append is for very special cases and should only be used if you really
know you need it and why.  --append-verify only exists because people
seem to think they need --append and get annoyed that it corrupts their
files.

--update is sometimes helpful however it interacts badly with --partial
and --inplace.  Since rsync doesn't set the timestamp of a file until it
is finished then any file left incomplete by an aborted rsync will have
the timestamp of the abort not the source file.  Therefore it will be
newer than the source file and unless the source is updated rsync
--update will never complete the file.

--
	Kevin Korb			Phone:    (407) 252-6853