deflate on token returned 0 - rsync error: error in protocol data stream

Heiko Schlittermann hs at schlittermann.de
Fri Oct 22 10:24:29 UTC 2021

Hi,

Heiko Schlittermann via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> (Mi 20 Okt 2021 10:56:51 CEST):

…
>  deflate on token returned 0 (22199 bytes left)
>  rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at token.c(427) [sender=3.1.3]

I manged to create a reproducer:
https://code.schlittermann.de/heiko/rsync-bug/src/commit/d8176333f8ef08b7dbf7957c83055677cddcc080/bug

Several times in a row if successfully reproduced the issue on
SLES12SP5, using Rsync 3.1.3 (connection to localhost, so identical
rsyncs on both sides of the connection)

If you can confirm that this is a bug that is fixed already, then it
would be enough for us for pushing the Distro maintainer to backport the
fix or whatever their policy allows.

======8<------------------
#!/bin/bash
set -eu

size=1029

cd ${1:?Usage $0 DIR}

echo ---------------------
echo rsync: $(rsync --version | grep version)
hostnamectl | grep 'Operating System' | sed 's/^\s*//'
echo ----------------------

echo Creating src file ${size}MiB
dd status=progress if=/dev/urandom of=fail-src bs=1M count=$size iflag=fullblock

echo Local copy to avoid initial transfer
cp -a fail-{src,dst}

echo Touch source
touch fail-src

echo Trigger the bug now
rsync -Pv -z fail-src localhost:$PWD/fail-dst

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann