Utility of --backup

lisa-asket at perso.be lisa-asket at perso.be
Tue Jul 20 07:58:36 UTC 2021

>From what I understand `--backup-dir` uses a hierarchical backup.  And `--suffix` appends the value

in `--suffix` to the end of each file.

What happens when one specifies both `--backup-dir` and `dest`.  Is `--backup-dir` a replacement to

`dest`, or not ?

From: Charles <c at charlesmatkinson.org>
To: lisa-asket at perso.be;
   rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: Utility of --backup
Date: 20/07/2021 02:37:50 Europe/Paris

> And let me do what you suggest. What is the difference, and is --backup
> better than the other ?

Only in conjunction with -backup-dir, for example

--backup --backup-dir=_Changed and deleted files/2021/Jul/19 at 21:21

The man page's entry for --backup suggests using it with either
--backup-dir or --suffix