Utility of --backup

lisa-asket at perso.be lisa-asket at perso.be
Mon Jul 19 13:52:54 UTC 2021

From: Charles via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org>
To: rsync at lists.samba.org
Subject: Re: Utility of --backup
Date: 19/07/2021 14:26:59 Europe/Paris

>IThe --backup option is great for creating "rolling full" backups which
>look exactly like the backed up tree except for the existence of the
>backup directory

I am not really understanding the "Rolling Full Backup".  Suppose I have a directory

and use `rsync -av --progress --log-file="$logfl" "$source" "$destin"`

And let me do what you suggest.  What is the difference, and is --backup better than the other ?

Would the command be

rsync --backup -v --progress --log-file="$logfl" "$source" "$destin"

>Here's how a Linux backup directory tree looks as created by backup
>utility bung's bu_rsync script

+-- bin -> usr/bin
+-- boot
|   +-- grub