Utility of --backup

lisa-asket at perso.be lisa-asket at perso.be
Mon Jul 19 05:50:34 UTC 2021

I would like some feedback about the --backup option in rsync. Is
it worth using it for backups, or should I just use rsync
commands that just transfer files without the use of --backup
option?

-b, --backup      make backups (see --suffix & --backup-dir)
--backup-dir=DIR  make backups into hierarchy based in DIR
--suffix=SUFFIX   backup suffix (default ~ w/o --backup-dir)

I am somewhat hesitant to use it because with the backup option,
preexisting destination files are renamed as each file is
transferred or deleted. It also says that previously backed-up
files could get deleted.  Thusly I need some assistance
understanding all the pros and cons.