Why is rsync setting uchg?

Maurice R Volaski maurice.volaski at einsteinmed.org
Fri Feb 26 05:02:00 UTC 2021

I have a Mac OS X (10.14.6) share mounted on a Synology NAS. When I attempt to rsync (3.2.3) a folder and its contents to the Mac, it starts by creating this folder on the Mac destination, then promptly starts failing to copy the contents. Investigation reveals that rsync has set the Finder locked attribute on the parent folder it created at the destination, preventing its contents from being altered. This attribute shows up as “uchg” when running ls -lO on this parent folder.

It’s specific to files that been previously copied to the NAS from Windows. If I manually create a folder on the NAS itself, then rsync that, this attribute doesn’t get set.

Why might it be doing this?