Speeding up rsync

hancooper hancooper at protonmail.com
Tue Aug 24 19:58:46 UTC 2021

It makes sense to we to run multiple rsync commands to speed up a backup.

At work, some have argued that if I sync the data all to the same host, there is no advantage
in parallelization. Whether you sync 3x 1G in parallel or 1x 3G makes no noticeable difference.

Speed in general does not increase by increasing the number of sync processes.

However, if one want to sync to multiple hosts, the effort may be worthwhile.

What is the current advice about speeding up data transfer ?