Which method (rsync-based) is better for backing up Linux servers to Synology NAS?

Bri Hatch bri at ifokr.org
Mon Aug 9 15:51:38 UTC 2021

tl;dr: rsnapshot is usually the best plan.

Details:
rsnapshot copies files from remote machines and stores snapshotted
directories locally. If you want to get the CentOS servers copied to the
synology then you need to run rsnapshot from the synology. Synology doesn't
have rsnapshot out of the box but it looks like there's a third party
package available.

If you don't want to install rsnapshot on the synology you have a hackish
option that may work, but I haven't tried. Have a separate dedicated backup
server, mount the synology's backup drive on that server over NFS, and run
rsnapshot from it. rsnapshot attempts to be efficient by hard linking files
when not changed, and NFS supports these, while SMB and other mount options
do not. You run rsnapshot from this linux machine to pull down the CentOS
files to the synology filesystem via the NFS mount.

The other option you reference requires running rsync from the CentOS
machine to the synology. This can work, though since synology does things
weird you'd need rsync --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync ... so it uses the real
rsync daemon on the synology side. (Not needed when running rsync *from* the
synology.)

Regardless which option you use you'll need to set up ssh keys on one side
and authorized_keys on the other, and may want to consider protecting the
access via authprogs <https://github.com/daethnir/authprogs> or sshdo.

Bri Hatch, Systems and Security Engineer. http://www.ifokr.org/bri/