How to manage root<-->root rsync keeping permissions?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Aug 3 14:05:27 UTC 2021

Andy Smith via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2021 at 11:48:31AM +0100, Chris Green via rsync wrote:
> > If I used the --super option (in a command like the one above) and
> > chris can run rsync as root on the remote end (via options in the
> > sudoers file) will this do what I want?  I guess I can go away and try
> > it! :-)
>
> You don't need --super if the remote side actually is running as
> root (either because you logged in as "root" or you logged in as
> "chris" but told it to execute "sudo rsync").

Remember, as I said, this is all Debianland with no real root login,
while I could add one I'd prefer not to.

> If you're going to use sudo then you'll want to set it NOPASSWD so
> it doesn't ask for a sudo password. Possibly restricting that only
> to uses of rsync or a specific script, otherwise it is giving
> "chris" blanket sudo access without a password.

Yes, I've set it up so chris can run rsync with root permissions.
However I'm not quite sure how to get it to work as one needs to say
"sudo rsync" to get the root privilege.  How do you do that?

--
Chris Green
·