Copying TBs -> error -> work around

raf rsync at raf.org
Mon Sep 14 00:07:52 UTC 2020

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 10:53:14AM +1000, Philip Rhoades via rsync <rsync at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Roland,
>

> On 2020-09-10 21:27, Roland wrote:
> > > with rsync hanging - after breakout on /home for writing I then get:
> > > "Read-only file system"
> >
> > if your filesystem switches to read-only, you have a serious problem
> > with your system/storage, not with rsync.
> >
> > rsync (or the workload) is simply triggering the problem.
>

> Thanks for the response . .
>
> Hmm . . but the drive that goes read-only is being read FROM not TO . . it
> is hard to see how that should be an issue?
> The backstory is that a relatively recent internal 8TB Seagate Barracuda had
> its 7.2TB sda5 (home) partition corrupted - which itself was suspicious but
> not impossible of course - so I had to switch temporarily to an external USB
> 4TB drive (which was a backup drive and was already up-to-date) for /home.
> So now this exercise is rsyncing back to a NEW internal 8TB Seagate
> Barracuda (sda5 again) . .
>
> If you are correct about rsync simply triggering an existing problem on the
> 4TB USB drive, would that problem going to be recognised by a fsck (ext4)?
> I will check this out after I switch over to the new internal sda5 for
> /home.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil.

file systems can be remounted read only when there are
too many errors. perhaps that applies to read errors as
well, not just write errors. check logs for i/o errors.
if it were i/o errors that caused the kernel to remount
the file system read only, it should have logged those
errors. and you should be able to use fsck with a usb
drive.

cheers,
raf