Strange behavior after upgrading to rsync 3.2.3

Paul Goyette paul at whooppee.com
Wed Nov 18 16:53:55 UTC 2020

(Please forgive me if this has already been discussed - I checked
the archives and bug reports and found nothing relevant.)

I just recently upgraded to rsync 3.2.3  Now, I get error messages
on every copy.  For example,

$ rsync -rltv --delete rsync://anoncvs.netbsd.org/cvsroot/CVSROOT \
         /$LOCALDIR/

results in these error messages:

receiving incremental file list
default_perms_for_dir: sys_acl_get_file(., ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT): Operation not supported, falling back on umask
default_perms_for_dir: sys_acl_get_file(CVSROOT, ACL_TYPE_DEFAULT):Operation not supported, falling back on umask

Running the same command on another directory (the actual NetBSD repo)
results in a lot more of the same error messages.

New installation is rsync 3.2.3, built, installed, and running on
a NetBSD 9.99.73 amd64 host, using NetBSD's pkgsrc.  The old rsync
was 3.1.3 running on the same host but built with an earlier NetBSD
system.