A strange problem with my daily backups performed via rsync

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 2 08:30:02 UTC 2020

Hi,

I am facing a strange situation with my daily backups performed via
rsync. I primarily use Manjaro KDE Linux (LTS kernel), but also have
FreeBSD and Windows 10 bare-metal installations.

I have an all-OS-writable ext2 partition /dev/sda2 mounted at /mnt/wall

My USB backup device is a Sony SSD mounted at /mnt/sony

This is the relevant line from my script which backs up /mnt/wall :

rsync -aAHXv --delete \
--exclude "lost+found" --exclude "System Volume Information" \
/mnt/wall /mnt/sony/

Whenever the line above goes into action, it recursively deletes
/mnt/sony/wall and then copies /mnt/wall all over again.

Any ideas why this might be happening ? Since /mnt/wall is 13GB, it
costs me time and SSD-wear to have /mnt/sony/wall recreated all over
again every time I do a backup.

Thanks,
Manish Jain